One of these days, I am actually going to get out there and get involved politically. For me of course there are unique challenges to that - it’s rather more difficult to get to protests when they’re usually on weekends - especially when you live in a part of a city like Sydney that is best termed a publicly transport desert of a weekend.
Partly, of course, it is understandable. There’s not much out where I am. But I do also wonder how much of that is a cultural thing: we don’t think so much about the public transport need of anyone other than 9-5 workers in this city, it seems. And that’s a problem.
But I’ve talked about all if that before. The thoughts about just what I want my contribution to the social movements for change to be. What areas do I feel called to? What communities should I seek to join? What cause cries out to me the most?
Actually, that last one is something I’ve been struggling on. I know a few things about myself:
- I love to encourage people, even when I myself am feeling down. I love to come alongside somebody and help them to hopefully see the greatness within them. (I’m a weird one in this way: I feel like everyone has some shred of awesome in them somewhere, and it positively makes me beam when someone lets that shine.)
- Intersectionality is something I see as being reeally really important and find myself wanting to encourage amongst activists.
- I love actually helping people, though I only feel confident doing so with small things.
- I KNOW I’m very capable with words. Read my poems, and I really love writing, though I like just letting it spill out and then tweak later.
- I love MANY causes. At various times I’ve felt a pull to feminism, LGBTQI causes (especially trans* issues), worker struggles, anti-capitalism concerns, environmental concerns, addressing the rich/poor divide, immigration issues, anti-racist and anti-war stuff, opposition to tape culture… And the list goes on. So basically, I like everything, and almost don’t want to specialise, but I know if I don’t, I’ll probably burn out. And yet each of these causes is a PASSIONATE thing for me.
I suppose what I’m asking my handful of readers (please share and reblog!) Is this: how do I pin down what I should get into? And more importantly, does anyone know what orgs exist in Australia (especially Sydney) that I should get involved with? Also, as a person of words, how can I best wield them to engender a positive attitude?
Okay, I’ll leave it there, I think, I don’t want to flood this thing with questions